Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Joy revisited



See that up there. That pretty machine? That will be mine come Saturday. I bit the bullet and used up my savings and purchased this very pretty machine which I hope will bring me lots of years of joy. I imagine all the beautiful things I will make with her. she is a girl and all. What I'm most looking forward to is making things for sale. That's right folks. I'm going to be making things to sell. Last month I did a commission and it was so much fun! (Hi PPG! I hope Mr Monkey made it to his destination.)
Back in July Madame Budget challenged me to save even money more than what I'd saved in July. I was well on my way to meeting that challenge until today when I plunked down that chunk of change for my new toy. I can rationalize all I want but I won't. I have a strong feeling that I can still meet the challenge. I have until the end of October. I've been learning a lot this year about joy, about money, and about life. I can't worry about other peoples reaction to my choices. I made a choice that will benefit me and bring me joy! A good solid machine has been a dream of mine for many years. What I'm most happy about is that with the cost of this machine will be that much less junk entering my home. And that is the most important lesson of all I believe. Madame Budget isn't there to tell me how to spend money. She's there to make me think how am I spending my money and how better can I spend my money.
I used to be of the mind that money could buy happiness. Slowly that way of thinking is changing and it is the experience that brings joy. Sometimes experiences cost money and those experiences need to be chosen wisely. I'm learning to experience what makes me happy.
Even if only for a little while. It's the joy in that moment that I will remember forever. And memories are free.



Posted by Picasa

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, I am so excited for you! She's a beauty and I know she will sew like a dream! I had no idea that better machines made a difference but they really do. I can tell even my bobbins are wound better with my new machine.
Aaron looks ready for another school year! Enjoy all your delicious free time and make some stuff!
I am off to knit and bitch where I will quilt and yakyakketyyak!
Love you sister!
xxxooo
kim

Not Lucy said...

Congrats on the new machine! A machine that works properly makes all the difference! Many years ago, I had a Singer Touch-n-Sew that drove me nuts. I sold it at a garage sale to a neighbor who had no problems with it ever!!! But I bought a used Pfaff that is still my main machine today and will last as long as parts are available! If I still had that Singer I probably wouldn't be sewing as much as I do.

Enjoy and good luck with the sales!

Anonymous said...

She is a beauty!!!
Congratulations I wish you many years of sewing fun !!
Diane

Beth said...

I am too happy for you. You do know that she needs a name. I name everything. Kinda scares people when you refer to your computer by name, or yell at it for that matter. I was yelling at Hudson (the computer) just today. But I will have to say I have never yelled at my beautiful Mss. Mabel. She is a wonderful sewing machine.

Sarah said...

yay! can't wait to see a picture of her in your home!

Anonymous said...

Oh, you are going to love your Janome! They sew beautifully and have so many fewer problems and repairs than others. My Pfaff breaks down if you look at it crossways, but my daughter's and friend's Janomes keep chugging along very faithfully. I'm so happy for you! It's a Great Investment to make.

jacquie said...

oh my! congratulations. i'm so happy for you!!!

susan said...

im so happy for you! you deserve a quality machine. they are a good investment and should last you for years. so be happy without guilt. especially since you are attempting to make money with it. good luck!!
and she sure is purty!!
will she have a name?

Samantha said...

congrats on the new machine! I splurged on a good one 5 or so years ago, and it;s made SUCH a difference- worth every penny! Can't wait to see all the goodies you'll be selling.

Major Bedhead said...

Shiny! I can't wait to see what you make. I still have your tea towel (although the girls ripped the ribbon off it). I think of you every time I use it.

smileymamaT said...

"I'm going to be making things to sell."... yay! Much clapping, streamers, confetti.... I'm happy for you!

Anonymous said...

Janome....oooooohhhhh....aaaaahhhhhh.... :) I hope you love it as much as you think you will. :)

Michelle said...

Yay you for purchasing something for you and that will bring you so much joy! and you know what? You can look at this as an investment! This is something that you will use every day and will last, and also bring you a little bit of an income! So I hope you don't feel guilty for spending the money on it- you deserve it!

Anonymous said...

Congrats on your new machine. What a blessing a good sewing machine is. I can't wait to see what you will sew with it.

Blog Archive

Contributors