Thursday, April 23, 2009

If you were a little girl of the 70's

IF you were a little girl in the 70's...
I myself don't remember much of the 70's but I do remember the late 70's early 80's. So here we go:

You had that Fisher Price Doctor's Kit with a stethoscope that actually worked. (not that I remember)


You owned a bicycle with a banana seat and a plastic basket with flowers on it. (I first rode a 2 wheel bike at 9 years old, it was green and had a white banana seat. I remember the day.)

You learned to skate with actual skates (not roller blades) that had metal wheel s. (I remember going to visit my grandparents in another province and we went shopping one day across the border. We bought Pac Man Roller skates. Just like these! )

You thought Gopher from Love Boat was cute (admit it!) (I didn't like that show, but my mom did.)


You had nightmares after watching Fantasy Island . (my older brothers watched this a lot)

You had either a 'bowl cut' or 'pixie', not to mention the 'Dorothy Hamill'. People sometimes thought you were a boy. ( I had long hair actually until I was 8 then I had it cut really short shag for some reason, I think I was having surgery.)

You had rubber boots for rainy days and Moon boots for snowy days. (nope)

YEAH! You owned a 'Slip-n-Slide', on which you injured yourself on a sprinkler head more than once. (don't remember hurting myself)


You owned 'Klick-Klacks' and smacked yourself in the face more than once ! (what are those?)

Your Holly Hobbie sleeping bag was your most prized posse ssion. (when I was 6-7 I had a miniature Holly Hobby doll and she always came to my hospital appointments with me. I lost her during one of those visits.)

You wore a poncho, gauchos, and knickers. (nope)

You begged Santa for the electronic game, Simon. (I didn't beg for it but we had one and we had the Einstien game too)

You had the Donnie and Marie dolls with those pink and purple satiny shredded outfits, or the sun shine family (ahhh no!)

You spent hours in your backyard on your metal swing set with the trapeze. The swing set tipped over at least once.(yes and I remember my dad putting big cement mounds on the end of the posts so it wouldn't tip. I remember once my brother tripped over one of those mounds putting some broken glass in the trashcan. I laughed but it wasnt funny when he brought up his hand and it was all cut up! ACK! In winter I stuck my tongue on the swingset pole when I was 11. I was dumb.)

You had homemade ribbon barrettes in every imaginable color. (Oh yeah!) (nope)

You had a pair of Doctor Scholl's sandals (the ones with hard sole & the buckle). You also had a pair of salt-water sandals. (no, but my mom had those wooden ones)

You wanted to be Laura Ingalls Wilder really bad; you wore that Little House on the Prairie-inspired plaid, ruffle shirt with the high neck in at least one school picture; and you despised Nellie Oleson! (I loved this show and would beg to watch it but my mom hated it. Although once in a while I'd get to watch it at my cousins house.)

You wanted your first kiss to be at a roller rink! (I had "cooties"-according to all the kids-and no one wanted to kiss me! I remember going to the rink and making a little girl cry because I ran over her "pet" bug -she found under the bench or something- with my roller skate.)

PONG! ('video tennis' ) was the most remarkable futuristic game you've ever heard of ! (we had attari)


Your hairstyle was described as having 'wings' or 'feathers' and you kept it 'pretty' with the comb you kept in your back pocket. When you walked, the 'wings' flapped up and down, looked like you were gonna 'take off' . (I had long hair with bangs, then it got cut short)


You know who Strawberry Shortcake is, as well as her friends, Blueberry Muffin and Huckleberry Pie. (I loved the purple pie man and his little ditty he always sang. I'm singing it in my head right now.)

You carried a Muppets lunch box to school and it was metal, not plastic.
(we went on vacation one summer and I was so excited to find a Annie lunch box. It was metal. I did go to the movie theatres to see the movies! I always felt bad for Gonzo. I identified with him a lot. He was "different". )

You and your girlfriends would fight over which of the Dukes of Hazzard was your boyfriend. (no, and I don't remember which one I liked more, the blond or the brown haired one.)


YOU had Star Wars action figures, too! (nope, but I did have an ET doll and once while I was hospitalized we put a real cast on his arm.)


It was a big event in your household each year when the 'Wizard of Oz' would come on TV. (oh yes and the year I was 8 or 9 I missbehaved and was sent to my room without watching it. That year was very long! It always came on near American Thanksgiving.)


You often asked your Magic-8 ball the question: 'Who will I marry. Shaun Cassidy, Leif Garrett, or David Cassidy?' (no and no and no)

You completely wore out your Grease, Saturday Night Fever, and Fame soundtrack record album. (no)


You tried to do lots of arts and crafts, like yarn and Popsicle-stick God's eyes, decoupage, or those weird potholders made on a plastic loom. (Oh yes. There was a craft I did when I was 9 or 10 and it involved some phentex yarn, a candle and a small copper pipe. You passed the yarn through the copper pipe, you melted the tip of it in the candle and then stuck it to a prepinted picture. I was so short that I did everything on my knees, I leaned over and my hair caught on fire from the candle! )


You made Shrinky-Dinks and put iron-on kittens on your t-shirts! (no)


You used to tape record songs off the radio by holding your portable tape player up to the speaker.. (I did that but later in the 80's)


You had subscriptions to Dynamite and Tiger Beat. (no but I used to love reading them)


You learned everything you needed to know about girl issues from Judy Blume books. (Are you there God, It's me, Margaret.) (I didn't like reading when I was younger)


You thought Olivia Newton John's song 'Physical' was about aerobics. (?? its not??) ( I did, and remember my mother and aunt banishing us kids from the room so they could do the workout tape)


You wore friendship pins on your tennis shoes, or shoelaces with heart or r ai nb o w designs. (no)


You wanted to be a Solid Gold dancer. (oh yes!)


You drowned yourself in Love's Baby Soft - which was the first 'real' perfume you ever owned. (maybe)

You glopped your lips in Strawberry Roll-on lip-gloss till it almost dripped off. (maybe, I also remember recieving the Avon peeling nail polish)


That was fun! Now you know a little bit more about me

4 comments:

Sarah said...

ha! very fun! i remember doing/owning/watching/listening to a lot of those things!

jacquie said...

i got kicked out of school in junior high for running through the hall with my clackers clacking (i broke a record so it was totally worth it!)

Farmer*swife a/k/a Glass_Half_Full said...

This is fun! And, I remember most of these! I'm a 1972 baby!

Anonymous said...

I remember all those things!! What a wonderful trip down memory lane!

Blog Archive

Contributors