It isn't easy to come up with original and simple costumes for children in wheelchairs. I'm not the kind to go to Walmart or Target or Kmart or any store for that matter and fork over 40 dollars for a costume. That's just not me. I find homemade costumes so much more fun and personal than some factory made generic costume made after some Disney character. I did doa storebought Superman last year only because it was less than 3 dollars and I was being lazy.
This year I thought I'd do something fun! I searched some things on the internet and found a cool video which I don't remember where I found it now. And I don't want to give away the costume just yet.
I went to the thrift store on the lookout for a white sweathsirt and a pair of white sweatpants. I found the first one but not the latter. So to improvise I found a very large grey sweatshirt and cut it apart to make a pair of pants.
The sheet was ripped into lots and lots of strips
Part one of his costume is done. Now to work on part two...stay tuned!
Upon checking my mail this morning I found a card in it that had been delivered yesterday. I had to sign for a registered letter this is what I found:
Now I can go to Maine any time I want and buy all the fabric I need! Funny though, lately I have been there 3 times since the beginning of the month and I have been very uninspired to buy any fabric! Part of my brain realizes that I have enough at the moment and must finish the projects that are started before I buy anymore. However.... I've decided that my living room needs a Christmas quilt of it's own because Aaron has claimed the first one I made for his bed.
4 comments:
Hi Laura,
Are you making, maybe, a mummy costume? Looking forward to seeing the pictures.
I've been a lurker on your blog for quite some time. I found it about a year ago (or longer) then I lost track of it when you changed your link/title. I was so happy when I stumbled across it again. I enjoy reading about your crafts, your quilts, and your life with your son. It isn't easy being a mom, is it? I have three pretty well grown up kids (young adults), and this past year hasn't been easy for me, either.
Anyway, just wanted to let you know that you have more followers than you think you do. I'm another Canadian, like you.
Take care,
Anne Simonot
annesimonot@sasktel.net
Laura I too think its a mummy costume, and by the little peek you have given us I think it will be wonderful !!
Time does fly by dosen't it,I am retired and can't find all the time I need to do stuff.
Laura doing nothing is just that but putting yourself out for Aaron and yourself makes it worth while in everything you do.
Take care
Diane
Can't wait to see what it is!
I'm glad you can go to Maine again; I was sad for you.
I love your feet/fall leaves header.
The word verification is "sendlint". I don't think I will.
Post a Comment