Sunday, March 21, 2010

I really like this quilting thing!

When I first left my ex-husband I was in survival mode. I gave up a lot of my hobbies. I was trying to learn a new way of life. Parenting mostly on my own. Aaron was two years old at the time and as anyone knows toddlers are a handful. Imagine an inquisitive toddler with special needs and my hands were very full. Slowly as I found a rhythm in our new little house I let crafts come back into my life. I crocheted for a couple years. I missed sewing and set up my machine in my bedroom. I fiddled with sewing from time to time but then life happened again and a whole new way of life had to be learned. Crafts took a back seat to caring for Aaron's needs following the tragic outcome of spine surgery.

Fast forward a few years, Aaron was well established in school during the day and I needed to do something to pass my time while he was away. I took out the sewing machine and started sewing again. Then someone told me about a great store just across the border that had really great fabrics at really great prices. That's all it took for me to be bitten by the quilting bug for the second time in my life. I've been at it for 4 years now and I don't see myself stopping anytime soon!

This month I started 3 projects alone!

A personal challenge quilt using scraps that Mamacjt sent me. (I cheated and added some strips from my stash and some scrap strips I found in my scrap bins. I also bought a couple 1/4 yards and cut them into strips for variety.)
Wonky Log Cabins WIP

This project I started last night after seeing this quilt along last week hosted by SewTakeAHike. I'm not sure where I'm gonna go with this one. I could go with 1 colour or I could go with many colours I just don't know yet. I guess it's one of those quilt as you go kinda things.
Quilt-A-Long WIP

This will be a slow going project as well. One star here, one star there and eventually I'll have enough stars for a quilt top. My inspiration is here. I love this woman's work. She's been truly an inspiration to me in my foray into quilting. Tia has helped me so much over the last year in relation to learning new things about quilting. I love her style and I have been known to study her quilts on her flickr stream to truly understand a concept.
Stars WIP

I eat, breathe, sleep quilts. I'm constantly thinking of designs as I go about doing my mommy duties. I did something so absent mindedly dumb last night I couldn't believe it! On my way to the bathroom to dump a container of pee I totally missed my mark and dumped it in the garbage instead of the toilet!!

My name is Laura and I'm a quilting addict.

What would Sunday be without a stash photos?
Stash Sunday

Since I can get really great fabric at really great prices I decided to rationalize my desire to find cute fun prints online. I splurged and even bought a Japanese print. These are slated for my niece's 3rd birthday quilt.
Fabrics for quilt to be for little niece

We're heading out of town this week for Shriners checkup for the little guy. Have a great week!!

6 comments:

Unknown said...

LOL Oh Laura you make me laugh. I too am a quilt addict and it has saved me so many times. I love the new fabrics, they are adorable!!

carol said...

Have a fun, safe week and come back with all sorts of new quilting ideas!

Valerie said...

Happy travels and have a safe trip! Hope the checkup goes well. :)

Love those fabrics for your niece's quilt -- can't wait to see pictures of that one!

And just so you know, you might be inspired by other quilters, but there are those like myself that are inspired by YOU!!! :)

henny said...

Hi Susan,
I just found your blog via mamajt's blog (you made gorgeous bags for her, cute design). Love your Sunday stash and your blocks also beautiful!

beth said...

You've got lots of inspiration here! Love those scraps and the quilt along is nice. I'm also thinking about joining that one. I wonder how many projects I can do!!!

Tif / Halu-Halo said...

...and you are good at this quilting thing too!!!!! lol . it's so nice to be able to have a mode of expression, and have something that is yours only :)

Blog Archive

Contributors