Thursday, June 10, 2010

Happiness Project update

I subscribe to The Happiness Project blog. From time to time Gretchen interviews all kinds of interesting people. I have always wanted to answer the interview questions for myself so here we go:

What’s something you know now about happiness that you didn’t know when you were 18 years old? I was 18 a looong time ago. I was a very sad 18 year old. So anything compared to then is much happier now. What I know now that I didn't know then is that we are the creators of our own happiness. We are in charge of making ourselves happy. At 18 I think happiness was wrapped up in everyone else, it was everyone elses job to make me happy. It took a long time to learn that lesson.

Is there anything you find yourself doing repeatedly that gets in the way of your happiness?
Ooooooooooh yes.... I repeat past mistakes that don't get me anywhere. Still I can't seam to stop making those same mistakes. It mostly has to do with finances and I'm admittedly a shopaholic. *wink* Those good deals are always getting in the way of trying to figure out how to be financially secure.

Is there a happiness quotation that has struck you as particularly insightful?
It's never too late to have a happy childhood. ~Berke Breathed
And thus describes how I live my life!

Do you work on being happier. If so, how?
All the time. See above. I'm creating a happier childhood for all the little ones I know around me. Myself included!
I try to take moments to enjoy solitude. It's not something I learned growing up with lots of siblings and being hospitalized for great amounts of time in my formative years. I became a very lonely person and craved interaction with people. I'm not beginning to enjoy being alone. I'm also learning that I don't have to share any adventure or experience with anyone to enjoy that experience. I've got a camera and I can remember the experience for myself!
Have you ever been surprised that something you didn’t expect to make you very happy did?
I was surprised that despite all the animosity between Aaron's father and I had in the past, today, being nice to each other now pays off. Happy parents equals a happy boy!

Me and my boy
My biggest source of happiness is being a mother. Really, really.
(photo taken last Friday while waiting for Papa)

5 comments:

carol said...

You are a very wise woman, LauraJ, and you are creating a very happy childhood for one lucky little boy.

zeebah said...

You're an inspiration! And those sunglasses are fabulous, btw. :)

Anonymous said...

Hi Laura..We all have to learn how to deal with our life and our mistakes and disappointments, but it sounds like you are figuring it out, and that is what counts! We need to not be too hard on ourselves, and learn to accept ourselves for who God made us to be. I love that you love being a mother, and you take that job so serious! You are a good mother!!! I was raised without my dad, and my mom always made decision to never bad mouth my dad to me. She didn't and I learned that he was a decent person that just couldn't get along with my mom. I understood that sometimes two people just weren't meant to be together forever...but they both loved me. :) Luckly Aaron!

Tracy said...

What a great picture of you two!!

Samantha said...

your happiness inspires me.

Blog Archive

Contributors