Sunday, August 29, 2010

Christmas in August

I have always wanted to make myself a lovely Christmas quilt to have on the couch during the holiday season. Aaron was lucky enough to get his own Christmas quilt, made of flannel no less, for his bed a few years back. Last year I got as far as purchasing fabrics to make one but never got around to actually making it and put the fabrics away in the closet.

Last July I was approached by Dana of Thistlehillfabrics if I'd be like to design something around some charm squares she'd send me. Always up for a good challenge I said sure! Patiently I awaited my charm squares and then off to the fabric store I went to buy some fabrics that would coordinate nicely.

Secret Project

My plan was to do something similar to this quilt I had made back in February. Since I no longer owned that quilt, having sold it to a lovely lady who admired my work, I thought would make a Christmas version of it. I omitted the outer borders as I didn't want to make a large quilt. I showed a sneak peek several weeks ago:

Secret project sneak peek

Today I did the "I-finished-a-quilt" Happy Dance. If you are a quilter you'd understand that feeling. No sooner was the last stitch in the quilt binding that off I was running to my clothesline to take some photos:

Front:
Quilt front before washing

Back:
Quilt back before washing

The quilt finished at 52 inches by 63.5 inches. Big enough to snuggle on the couch while watching a Christmas movie in December. I've named the quilt after the line of fabrics the charm squares came from: "Noel" from the line of Lumiere de Noel which is by French General for Moda fabrics.

Giveaway!!

Did you know that Dana sent me 2 charm packs and I only used one in my quilt which means I have a left over charm pack that I'm offering up for a giveaway!! Who doesn't love a good easy peasy giveaway? Just leave a comment and you are entered into the giveaway. I'll draw a winner Tuesday September 7th. The day Aaron goes back to school so I'll celebrate him going to school and you can celebrate winning my giveway.

Once you've entered your name would you go check out Dana's shop and support a home business? At the moment she's having a 10% off sale all Moda Precuts, which would be great for the quilt along being hosted very soon at Fat Quarterly.

If you don't win the giveaway you could get your own pack of Lumiere de Noel charm squares by clicking on the link.

Thank you for visiting and good luck!!

56 comments:

Valerie said...

Another amazing quilt, my heavens!

My bits start back to school tomorrow! Goodbye summer... less than 120 shopping days until Christmas....

lynn said...

Yay, Laura, the quilt looks great!

We have one. more. week. I have such mixed feelings about the start of school this year.

Alice R. said...

Looks like a fun and fast quilt -great idea! Thanks for the giveaway - put me in. Yeahh!

Valerie said...

Yeehaw, Christmas in August! I would love to win, what a fun giveaway. And you go, girl -- can't believe you whipped that sucker up so fast. Oh wait, yes I can. You're Laura the Great. ;)

Anonymous said...

You're just amazing how you make so many wuilts and they are all amazing!

l said...

Your finished quilt is gorgeous!

Jamie K said...

I'm a teacher so I know what back to school jitters feel like! We went back on Aug. 16th. I love your finished quilt! Thanks for the chance to win!

Jamie
http://jamiesquilts.blogspot.com

karen @ badlandsquilts said...

I have your original quilt bookmarked in my flickr favs...thanks for the giveaway chance. School starts here tomorrow so I really should be in bed!

Anonymous said...

always wanted to have some of these fabrics and maybe this is my chance
thanks

silversmith said...

the quilt is lovely! i've been watching your little sneak peak postings on flickr...

great giveaway too! motivation to get something done for yourself (which is something i need to do again!)

Dara said...

adorable quilt! I hope to win so i can start on my First quilt!

ravenastoriaATgmailDOTcom

CJ said...

Cute quilt! I love that charm pack fabric. Thanks for the chance.

Unknown said...

Looks great L!

NancyinSTL said...

I happened upon your blog by browsing the Fresh Modern Quilts on Flickr. Good Luck with your blog and home business. You are lucky that you don't live in Pennsylvania where they are going to start taxing home business bloggers.

Bec Clarke said...

Hi I'm bec from Flickr Mug Rug swap. I am so glad you posted about your giveaway, not just to try and win something but your blog is wonderful. I love your quilts, especially the house one. I am adding you my reader.
Thanks

Kandra said...

I love that quilt! You did a great job! :)

So lovely of you to host a giveaway too :D

Susan said...

Lovely quilt and lovely fabrics for the giveaway! Fingers crossed!

Delores said...

Would love to win a charm pack. Still haven't bought one and would like to try making a quilt with one. Xmas is always a favourite here!

Nancy said...

I love this fabric and would love to win. Your quilt looks great. I also love your picture at the top of your blog.

Quilt n Queen said...

I love your quilt and the Lumiere de Noel fabric line. Hoping to win.

Anonymous said...

Cara sent me over and I'm glad she did...your head quilt is also darling! Ah yes...first day of school for so many....I call it party day but mine are pretty much grown now. Enjoy the week and I hope you will have a chance to visit me too.

free indeed said...

Sometimes I think I 'overthink' my quilts....making them harder and longer to finish when simple and done are so much more rewarding...

thanks for the opportunity to win a charm pack!
freeindeed at myfairpoint dot net

QuilterLaura said...

Your quilt is simple and beautiful. Sometimes I think we get WAY to busy with our patterns and it can detract from the simple beauty of the fabrics. Lovely job.

Terry said...

Great quilt! Thanks for the chance to win the charm pack! :0)

Karen said...

Love your quilt; love the fabric. I'd love a chance to win the charm pack. Thanks!

Sara said...

Glad I found your blog because it's just beautiful!! Lovin' the Christmas quilt:) The Noel line looks very enticing too;)

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful quilt.

deserae said...

Love your quilt! :)

Kim said...

Your quilt is beautiful! I love the color combo.

Brenda said...

What a fun giveaway. Love the quilt.

Mary Grace McNamara said...

My 2nd grader and Kindergartner started back to school last week and my college student started back today, so the house is quiet! I think I need another charm pack to fill the void!

Gorgeous quilt!

MGM

Lisa said...

Love the quilt! Thanks for the chance.

Unknown said...

I'd love to play with that charm pack! Your quilting is great.

Anonymous said...

Oh such pretty fabrics! Nice job on Noel, it looks nice and big for super comfy snuggling too!

QuiltNut Creations said...

so pretty! thanx for the chance

copehome said...

Thanks for the giveaway!!

Isisjem said...

Great quilt! I've often thought of doing a Christmas quilt but never managed to get round to it. I'd love to make a Christmas quilt that said 'Christmas' to you but didn't shout it too loudly.

Lindsay said...

Your quilt looks great!

Lindsay.forgette(At)gmail(dOt)com

arlette said...

Wow, I understand the feeling about when we finish a quilt, specially if it's big, your quilt's so lovely congrats!!!!, and love the fabric you're giving away!!!

KarenOjai said...

I love your new quilt...I'd love to win the charm pack. Thanks for the giveaway

Anonymous said...

A beautiful quilt that will honor the fabric and designer! Love it! And, would love to make my own with your extra charm pack. Blessings to you!
Gayle
gag7949@hotmail.com

Annmarie said...

Isn't it interesting how sometimes simple is amazing. Your quilt is amazing - from 1 charm pack an amazing quilt. I like the back too!

Fiber Babble said...

Oh, that quilt just looks like a hug made out of fabric! Good job!

nrnoodle said...

What a great quilt to snuggle under this coming Christmas and many more years to come.

Anonymous said...

Love the quilt and I love the charm pack. Goodness all around........

Patty said...

Thanks for the chance to win!

webmailaddress2 said...

What a pretty quilt! Have a great weekend!

Unknown said...

Boy do I love to do that "the quilt is done!" Happy Dance! Beautiful work! :)

Corky said...

Nice quilt and I really like the fabrics! Thanx for a nice charm pack giveaway. I would love to win it.

Jenny said...

I love Dana's shop! She is the friendliest shop keeper around! and quite possibly the most generous!! your quilt turned out great!

craftytammie said...

love that quilt, and only lone charm pack - maybe i'll win and make my own! thanks for the chance!

:o) mg said...

uh oh, I just visited her shop and I can see that I am going to have to squirrel away more "fabric hoarding money".
Thanks for your generous spirit and sharing this neat giveaway.

SheilaC said...

Thanks for the give away!

I LOVE your blog header!! Is that one of your quilts??

SheilaC

quiltmom anna said...

Thanks for the chance to win such a nice set of charm squares- I have been playing with charm squares a lot lately. These ones in your giveaway are very pretty. Thanks for the chance to win them.
Regards from Western Canada,
Anna

Tylynn said...

What a fun charm pack! I would love to build something festive with it. Thanks!

Rafael's Mum said...

Thanks for this lovely giveaway. I love French General and hope Aaron has a good first day at school!

Blog Archive

Contributors