Monday, January 17, 2011

A quilt for a cause


Evolution of a quilt, originally uploaded by LauraJ_Sews.

I have an older cousin who was stricken several years ago with an aggressive form of Multiple Sclerosis. It has affected him in the worst way. There is a procedure called the Liberation Treatment that he believes will help him. Unfortunately this surgery is not funded nor approved in our country. He hopes to find a doctor in another doctor in a country where the surgery is being done with some success.
His family members have gathered around him to help him raise money for expenses. Although not rich in money, I am rich in talent and decided to put those talents to good use.

Using some squares leftover from the 100's I cut here:
1200(ish) 4 inch squares

I put together a quilt using some solid sage green colour. I have been enamoured with the Lattice Quilt Pattern (free on Oh Fransson's blog)

The finished quilt came out much better than I imagined!
Lattice Quilt

When it came time to layer the quilt I taped the backing down and cut some batting to size only to realize I hadn't made it large enough. I added another pieced strip and cut another batting to size and came up with this for the backing:

Quilt back

Not wanting to bother which direction I should press the seams I decided to press them all open. For the quilting I chose a "wiggly" stitch to hold the seams together.

quilting detail

I delivered this quilt to my cousin on Saturday. I told him I'm giving him a quilt and he has two options, he could keep it for himself or he could raffle it to raise money for his trip. Whichever he chose would make me happier either way. He was quite surprised and touched that I'd do this for him. I don't know what he has decided but on my way out the door to go home I did whisper that if he chose to keep it that the little quilting fairies could always make another.

7 comments:

Valerie said...

You're such a good soul!

I'm not as rich in talent as you are, but if I can help please let me know!

Valerie said...

How lovely, LJ! And rich in talent is sooooooo TRUE.

carol said...

I hope it brings him a ton......in warmth and love, or $$....whichever way he chooses.

Carole Burant said...

You have a heart of gold, you know that?! Leave it to you to do such a heartwarming thing, no doubt your cousin was very touched by your thoughtfulness. The quilt is beautiful and no matter what he decides to do with it, he will never forget what you've done for him:-) xoxo

:o) mg said...

When I grow up I want to be like you.

Samantha said...

it's gorgeous and I am certain whatever he chooses will make him happy :-)

Sarah said...

Lovely quilt for a great cause! Is that "wiggly stitch" and pre-programmed machine stitch or did you do it all yourself? I love the way it looks.

Blog Archive

Contributors