Sunday, July 17, 2011

The face of thirty-eight

(technically not in that photo but I was only a week or so away from 38 so we'll go with that)

In honor of turning 38 years old, today to be exact, I am going to do a bullet post form of 38 Random things ... here goes:

1. My favourite soup in the whole world is tomato rice soup. It makes me think of my mom and all the soups she made me as a child.
2. I have to drink a diet pepsi every day. What's funny to me is that as children we think it's gross but as adults we can't live without it.
3. I love to create things. I have to make things to keep my sanity intact.
4.My favourite things to create are bags and quilts. Two very useful things in live.
5.I love to give away my quilts. I'll make a quilt, put it on a shelf. Take it out once in a while , maybe use it. Wash it then put it back on the shelf. But then a day comes when a dear friend or person needs a quilt, I run to my closet pull one out and say here you need this more than I do.
6.Let me just say that not all the quilts I give away are previously, and gently, loved. Some are made for specific people.
7.As a child I traveled a lot across Canada. I loved it. I have many fond memories of the different places I've visited. Someday I want to go to PEI and Nova Scotia. Just to say that I've been coast to coast.
8.I have a lot of fabric. But not nearly as much as some people's fabric collections. (AKA hoards *wink*)
9.I find it hard to be motivated to sew in the summer. Summer's tend to be more carefree. I want to spend more time with my boy and get to know him a little better.
10.Speaking of my boy I love that child more than life itself!
11. I love cake. I think everyday is a reason to have cake. Unfortunately my thighs do not like cake and do not want cake everyday.
12. When I am old I want a little tiny pocket dog. I think I could handle that.
13. I once had a cat but my life was too overwhelming and I sent her to live on a farm after we lived together for 2.5 years. She drove me insane with her cat-like bulimia.
14.I like flowers. Tiger Lilies are my favourite.
15. I made an appointment for a tatoo. They changed it on me twice. I've changed my mind twice on what I want to get. I'm going July 26 and I'm nervous as heck.
16. I dont like doing laundry.
17. I dont like washing floors.
18. I do manage to do both once in a while.
19.I like chocolate. My favourite chocolate bar at the moment is a Crunchie. I'm about to go get one at the little convenience store beside my house, as soon as I click post.
20. It is hard to come up with 38 things about myself. How I did this 5 years ago when I started blogging is beyond me. Back then I did a list of 100 things about me. Wish I could find it, but sadly I deleted that old blog.
21.I like blogging, if I knew exactly what to blog about. I feel my life is way too mundane to share. Don't the quilting posts get boring after a while?
22. It is Noon 15 here. As soon as I'm done with this post I'll go fold a load of laundry.
23.Once the laundry is done and after I have gone to get my birthday chocolate bar I'm going to set up my machine on the kitchen table to sew on a quilt.
24. I'm aiming to finish a quilt this week. Grey stars is top on my sewing priority list.
25.I've spent the last week cutting and cutting and cutting some more parts and pieces for the X&+ quilt along. I'm proud to say I'm up to 5 blocks. As I work on this I keep telling myself this is going to be my favourite quilt ever. So many treasured scraps are going into it.
26.I joined the doll quilt swap and I'm stumped on what to make my partner. I'm not going to panic yet.
27. My first diet pepsi is done and on this grey Sunday I need another one. It'll give me the energy to fold those clothes!
28. I love my neighbours. Each one is special and unique.
29.One of which reads my blog when I post. Hi N!! :)
30.I don't have much surrounding supportive family but I've got great friends.
31.I love my son's father. I don't think I will ever love another man as much as I have loved him all these years.
32.It is unfortunate he could not love me the way I needed to be loved.
33. I am okay with that because sometimes people make much better friends than lovers they say.
34 Oh! My neighbours are outside, I must go say hello. I'll be back.
35.12:42. I'm back with a dr pepper, my next favourite pop after diet pepsi, and a small bag of chips. I didn't need chocolate afterall since one of my neighbours gave me a box of Rochier chocolates. Mmmm.
36. As a children we think 38 is oooold but really it's not. I feel I'm in my prime!
37. A few words about my 37th year: I've learned to take responsibility for my own happiness and my own destiny. I've learned that everyone is going to have an opinion about life and they're going to defend that opinion. I've learned that it's okay to live life for what works for each individual. I learned that it's okay to express emotions other than happiness all the time and that people care enough about me to help me get back to my happiness. I've learned that no matter what I do or don't do I AM loved for who I am, for how I present myself as a human being.
38. A goal for my 38th year: To stop searching for what isn't and start living for what is. My goal is always, always to be a better human being, to make a difference in the lives of those people who choose to allow me in theirs.

Time to fold the laundry. blech

15 comments:

Sarah said...

Happy birthday Dear Laura! I hope you had a great day :)

That is the best pic of you and Aaron!

Michelle said...

happy birthday (again!) ;-) Love this pic of you and Aaron, and what a great list!

Everyday Quilter said...

Happy Birthday! It's nice to learn so much about you!

Lisa said...

happy birthday sweetie! what a wonderful post!

Melaniemmacdonald said...

Happy Birthday, Laura!!! have a great day!

laura capello said...

happy, happy birthday laura!

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday!!! Hope you had a fabulous day!

cauchy09 said...

such a lovely 38 bits of you! i hope you had a great day.

Jennifer said...

Happy Birthday! What a wonderful list!

Jennifer :)

Carole Burant said...

Happy Birthday dear Laura:-) Oops, I see I'm a day late, I really thought your b'day was today and not yesterday!! I loved reading all those random facts about you. I do hope you had a wonderful day being spoiled for a change, you're always usually the one doing the spoiling!! Have a slice of b'day cake for me:-) xoxo

Samantha said...

Happy birthday- and thank you for sharing those 38 things!

:o) mg said...

Please write a book.

Valerie said...

So I'm a few days late to the party, but HAPPY BIRTHDAY, Laura! I loved reading through your list.

I have a fun little something to mail to you, but I need your address (and name, since I only know your first name). Could you email me with your info? My email is valerie_fischer02 AT yahoo DOT com (you know how to take our the spaces and put the at symbol and dot symbol instead, haha). :)

Andrea said...

Happy Belated Birthday, dear. You are a beautiful person.

tana50 said...

A late but most sincerely "Happy Birthday"! This was a great post and made me feel so happy.
The best to you and Aaron.

Blog Archive

Contributors