Saturday, October 29, 2011

Fall 2011 Blogger's Quilt Festival

Amy'sCreativeSide
Welcome to all visitors to the online quilt festival held by Amy'sCreativeSide. Today I would like to share with you a quilt that I just finished yesterday, which I had started many moons ago. With any story we must start at the beginning. Go get some coffee or a drink and a snack too this may take a while. I'm warning you that this post will be heavy in photos. Fabric pulling As with any quilt we must start with the fabrics. In December of 2009 I won a bloggy giveaway of gift certificate to an online fabric store. Let me just say that the shop owner was very generous in her gift and I got way more than what I was supposed to have won. I digress. I chose some fabulous Denyse Schmidt fabrics from her Hope Valley line. I set them aside knowing I'd be used them all together to make something special. In March of 2010 inspiration struck me when I saw this and I was inspired! I pulled out my DS Hope Valley and added some charcoal grey Kona as well as some other prints that would be fun and went to work making stars. Stars WIP I made some stars. Then I life got in my way and other quilts wanted to be made so I put this project on the back burner. Every so often I'd make a star or two. Grey stars revisited By March of this year I had quite a few stars gathered. I decided I'd just go ahead and put them together with the solid grey as filler. Final draft for part 1 It's possible I made a few more stars to make everything fit together nicely. I then set it aside because I was undecided with how to proceed next. I knew I was going to add borders but what? I saw this and this I had an idea turn the 16 patch on point! After this point I don't have many other pictures while I was working on it. Once I had the top done and basted it sat on my kitchen table for practically the whole summer just waiting to be quilted. Slowly working on this... At first I didn't know how I was going to quilt it. And then I just figured I'd do swirls on the grey parts and outline the stars with "sort of" straight stitching as best I could. I also had a dilemna about the corners of the borders. They were just grey blocks of nothing and I was having a hard time finding any motivation to finish this quilt while being so stumped about a design aspect. Finishing details As much as other quilters can be an inspiration to me (or you) a quilter has to make things her own and decide on making elements that are special and add just the right touch. That is what I thought these dresdens would do when I sat down and drafted them. Once all the quilting on the quilt was done I quilted them on like a top stitch. Easy peasy. waiting... And then the binding came. I chose this really wonderful stripey fabric for my binding because I just knew it was the right one for my quilt. I sewed it on by machine and got the hairbrained idea I would sew it down by hand. For the record I don't sew bindings by hand all that much. It sat on my couch or the floor near the couch for weeks. Then I heard about the Quilt Festival and thought what wonderful motivation to get it done! And I'm proud to say it is done today! And here it is all finished and only 18 months later!! Warning: Gratuitous quilt photos ahead: Grey Stars quilt on the grass Grey Stars Quilt on the grass Grey Stars on the line quilting detail this photo shows the quilting really well I started this quilt as a picnic quilt for us. I'll have to wait many months before we can go on any picnics however it will be put to good use snuggling up under in the cold months ahead. If I learned anything about this quilt is that good quilts take time to come about. I'm glad it's done and I think it's a lovely quilt. I wouldn't call it a favourite yet but ask me when I'm 80 and I just may say that I loved it to pieces. Grey Stars on the line Thank you for stopping by! I hope to visit many of you as well. Have a great week! Stay warm where ever you are!

36 comments:

cauchy09 said...

those blue flying geese are genius! i love this quilt more than i ever could say. congrats!

Sabine said...

Such a stunning quilt - thanks for sharing!

Vicki @ DottyJane said...

I love everything about this quilt! It's wonderful!

Molly said...

This quilt is full of special touches and little surprises. I love it! The colors are very soothing too.

Shevvy said...

I love quilts that just grow and develop as you work on them. This has turned out fab. Also, I don't believe in hand sewing binding either, think you are mad to have even considered it, never mind do it!

Jolanda said...

I like your quilt very much.

carol said...

I love this quilt, Laura! You can tell that you put much love and time into it....especially with the hand-sewn-on binding. Good for you! I do that to ALL my quilts!

Quiltbenaco said...

E' un capolavoro!!!!
Ciao

Anonymous said...

Lovely colors and all the stars are great!

Editfolt said...

Greetings from Hungary. I love the abstract pattern .. Staple the beautiful

Marika said...

Very nice work thanks for the quilt for division.

Katie B said...

Stunning stars! I love the quilting.

Mom said...

love the quilt!

Margaret
www.quiltsoflove.blogspot.com

Jenny said...

oh lauraj, this one is really really amazing. i love it. my favorite of the festival i think!

Angie said...

Your quilt is lovely - so much inspiration! Thank you for sharing your quilt and its story!

Jitka said...

The night sky! Lovely.

Lynette said...

Love this quilt! It has something for both the modern and traditional crowds. Neat dresdens in the corners.

Everyday Quilter said...

unbelievably beautiful! I liked it without borders or anything - but you sure made it your own and made it come alive. I LOVE it! Congrats on a masterpiece!

LeslieUnfinished said...

Wow! I love this quilt!

maria said...

What can I say?.... This is amazing, the stars sparkle against the dark background. Great quilting too.

kelly said...

this is gorgeous!! well done!

The Thompsons said...

Wow- seriously gorgeous! The quilting is stunning as well.

Lyanna L. said...

Simply Stunning! I love the gray background (I'm rather obsessed with gray these days) and the stars are darling. Just goes to show you that sometimes great genius take time =)

BunkHouseQuilts said...

Wow, I love everything about this quilt. Thanks for sharing!

Simply Sandy said...

Love how you added the dresden plates after you quilted it. It perfect!

Eileen said...

Makes me think of twinkle twinkle little star! Great stars on the dark background. Thanks for sharing and have a great day

Cynthia said...

Love this quilt! So pretty! I really like the blue and gray and all the different blocks! Lovely!

Kit Lang said...

Really lovely quilt! Thanks for sharing. :)

Leslie said...

this quilt is absolutely stunning....one of my favorites that i have seen so far!

Katie said...

I love it! The quilting is wonderful and really sets off the stars.

mennikelly said...

I love the quilting and the colors. It's gorgeous.

Dresden Quilter said...

This is a gorgeous quilt. I love the Dresden Plates in the corners.

Unknown said...

Make Money Online is very easy now, In Internet system we have now best earning system without any work, Just Invest some Money into your Business and Make Perfect Life time Earnings with this Business.
Join Now for Make Perfect Business and Earn Money online from home.
www.hotfxearnings.com

Unknown said...

Make Money Online is very easy now, In Internet system we have now best earning system without any work, Just Invest some Money into your Business and Make Perfect Life time Earnings with this Business.
Join Now for Make Perfect Business and Earn Money online from home.
www.hotfxearnings.com

Unknown said...

Latest cars and vehicles, Latest Mazda Models, Racing Cars, International Sport Cars, Concept Cars, PS-Pod, Strange Vehicles, Nissan, Royce Corniche, Ford Concept Cars, Strange Vehicles, Mercedes and More Sport Cars and Vehicles with Pictures and Info
WorldLatestVehicles.blogspot.com

Rehan Ahmed said...
This comment has been removed by the author.

Blog Archive

Contributors