Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Vintage Smock

Sometimes I have grand ideas when it comes to sewing. Sometimes my ideas are too grand and I give up before completing a project. I have many unfinished quilts to attest to that. There are times when I need a break from ordinary quilt making and I feel the pull just sew something else. I found that something else in the form of a great smock pattern from Sew Mama Sew. Of course I hemmed and hawed about actually doing it because really I had to ask myself what am I going to do with a smock? Then it dawned on me that I could share this smock with someone else in blogland who has been so kind to me and generous as well and I never got around to doing something for a thank you. This is my first thank you to one of a few ladies in blogland who have shared a little piece of themselves with me. I won't give away who it is until it arrives where it needs to go.

Smock Front

Smock Back




Button Detail




When I set out to make this smock, that I'm so in love with, I decided to use my vintage machine as well seeing how fitting it would be. Vintage smock; vintage machine. Perfect match. I sometimes wonder about the life of this machine and what projects she made before she came to live with me in 1995. I wondered if someone in 1960 something made an apron for themselves.
Ponderings aside, I'm very pleased with the outcome of the smock. The colour, the sewing, the overall prettiness of it. I changed the design just a little bit by adding the binding to the bottom of the pocket front.
I do hope the wearer of the smock will love it as much as I do.

There are 2 more smocks in the future but not right now.

Sorry for the extremely crappy pictures. My camera had a lemonade bath several weeks ago and hasn't been working well ever since. I've ordered a new one for my birthday and I can't wait to get it!

4 comments:

Kari said...

Nice smock! What a sweet gesture you never cease to amaze me with your kindness :)

Samantha said...

that's gorgeous- what a fantastic gift!

jacquie said...

Very cute smock! I know about bathing electronic equipment...my cell phone took a diet coke bath...didn't appreciate it at all!

Green-Eyed Momster said...

I don't think lemonade baths are good for cameras. Your pictures are always great. Your smock is so cute! You are so talented. Keep in touch and be happy and well. Two more weeks until our birthdays. Time is flying by. Thanks for your note today. I love you, T

Blog Archive

Contributors