Thursday, October 9, 2008

Day 9: Blogging 31 for 21 ::Carolyn::

Today's interview is from another blogless friend met through Single Mom's of Special Kids yahoo group. Meet Carolyn and Colton.

1--For my blog readers would you mind telling us a little about who you are and how you became a parent of a special needs child?

My name is Carolyn King and I became the single mother of a special needs son on 11-19-97, something I would not know until years later.

2--I know you to be an excellent advocate on the part of your son as well as others. How did you get to be this powermama in large and in charge of advocating for Autism?

My son Colton started special education including and IEP listed as developementally disabled at the age of 3 years. It was not until he started Kindergarten (which I lovingly refer to as Kinderhell) that I became a PITA to advocate for my son and his rights. After having him relocated to another school we had fairly smooth sailing until 3rd grade when he failed FCAT mandatory testing. We were able to receive a grant for him to attend private school at the States expense and we have been very pleased. For 6 years I have been active in the autism community providing support and awareness. I run a local support group in my area and encourage others to do so as well.

3--What has C accomplished recently and how did you celebrate it?

Colton's most recent biggest achievement has been tying his shoes. YEAH! (finally, he is 10 yrs old) and we celebrated by having a shopping spree at the toy store. Our next mile stone might be riding a 2 wheeler...if that ever happens, we will have a big party!

4--How do you juggle being a single mom and working full time for yourself?

This has been a struggle but I am luckier than most as I worked with my family until my parents retired and sold their business. Then for 2 years, I worked for others and that was very challenging to say the least. I had alot of help from my friends and family as there was never enough time in the day. Last year I opened my own business and now am able to juggle life much better.

5--What makes you happy? (I ask this question because I'm working on my own little Happiness Project http://www.happiness-project.com/ --I'm hoping to gain a little insight into my own happiness through other's reasons for what brings them happiness.)

The thing that makes me the happiest is when my son kisses my cheek softly and says "I love You" I love seeing the excitement in his eyes and it always makes me misty. I also feel happy when I can share in his happiness through his efforts and accomplishments. It makes me also feel accomplished and that is an awesome feeling. Lastly I feel happy when I am able to bring joy and hope to others who share in my same struggle and need a friend to help them and comfort them.

6--Do you have any websites you'd like to share?

www.autismsocietyofamerica.com

www.wrightslaw.com

www.spdfoundation.com


~~~~~~~~~~~
Thank you for taking the time to read the interviews.
I'm learning a lot through the different moms and their kids.
Please excuse me while I go lay down now.
I got a cold, stuffed up head, runny nose and sneezing.
Posted by Picasa

5 comments:

Green-Eyed Momster said...

I these are all great. What wonderful people! You are doing such a great job with the interviews.

Hope you have a great weekend!!
Do you have your WII yet? Send me a note!

Love you too!!

Hugs!!

Green-Eyed Momster said...

Oh Yeah, I hope you are feeling better soon!!

Sending you loving, healing hugs!!

:)

Anonymous said...

I am really loving these interviews!!! Thanks for doing them. Feel better soon!

Biscuit said...

You know, the whole time I worked in the schools, I swore to myself I'd never be one of "those" parents, and damned if I didn't get a child who made me BE one of the PITA's! :) But it's okay, but it brought out the best in me!

PeppyPilotGirl said...

I love the picture of him jumping into the pool!!

Thanks for the interview, LJ! (Feel better!!)

Blog Archive

Contributors