Sunday, October 26, 2008

my weekend


While waiting for the bus to come on Friday at thought came in to my head.
Life isn't about whether I matter. I'm wasting all this time being sad worrying if someone cares about me when instead I could be finding out what matters to me! DING DING DING I think we have a winner! I realized that this is what my happiness project was all about. I forgot so many things in the past couple months. I mostly forgot about me and the time I need to refresh my batteries.


This guy was looking out the window waiting for papa.


Papa's coming! Papa's coming!

While he went out of town I stayed home and created a town of my own! I spent Friday and Saturday working on these houses for a project I'm working on as part of an online group class for quilty folks like me. I set it aside today to make a birthday present for someone and also work on drafting a pattern for another quilt for Aaron.


Here are today's results of this. The book comes from a wonderful lady (hello PPG!!) (we did a trade) and I love it so much! There were two quilts in there with no patterns so I set out to draw it out myself and execute it in fabric. My first try is on the right. EEK. Nothing meets in the center. I realized with I did wrong and revised it. That's my second try on the left. I think this quilt might be a lot of fun to make. I'm hoping anyway. What's most surprising is that am okay with piecing curves!



So I must say that my weekend was a wonderful productive weekend. I also made a cute little fall apron on Saturday to make, serve and eat supper with the sisters two houses down. They loved it, supper and the apron. I loved my weekend, reconnecting with something I have a passion for. How could I be sad with such bright and happy fabrics surrounding me?!
I will be one busy person these next couple months. At least I won't have any time to be sad!
I'm figuring out what matters to me and it's more than just being a mama.
Posted by Picasa

13 comments:

Valerie said...

Oh my goodness, your blocks are beautiful! I love all the fabrics you chose, and I think those houses are my absolute favorites. I can't wait to see what they turn into...

Biscuit said...

Those are beautiful, Laura. I have no patience for that stuff anymore. I have tried to pick up my knitting again, and for some reason, I just can't stick with it.

Anonymous said...

Laura you artistic little diva you!! That is so beautiful I wish it were mine!!
Go with this girl if it makes you happy,That's why you bought your wonderful sewing machine remember!!!
Can't wait to see this finished!(Dont rush on my account!)
Diane

Green-Eyed Momster said...

So glad to hear that you are feeling better. I was really worried about you.
I have Tuesday and Wednesday off this week. I'll try to get those books in the mail for you. I'm sending them media mail so I hope that you'll have them before Christmas, anyway!! :)

The quilting looks very difficult but I love the pattern. The houses are so cute!

Hugs and love, T

Anonymous said...

Yay for self-discovery and realizing what really matters! Yay for time alone! Yay for happy kiddos!

You're inspiring me. I really need to get my quilt on. I haven't sewn (other than hemming pants) since Little Man was born. I have a huge set of drawers full of fabric waiting to be sewn!!! Must. Get. To. It......

Junior said...

Laura I absolutely love the circular quilt blocks.
Have a great evening.

Holee said...

Laura, Thank you for visiting my blog. I will get those Christmas quilts done, just not today.

At the top of my favorite blogs list is "Pixie's trian ride". No one seems to see it there and it is reallly something we all need to read from time to time. I know you will enjoy it.

Anonymous said...

I love your current projects, especially those circle blocks.
What is the book?

susan said...

hurrah!! you winged a pattern and it turned out great! i love the pattern and think it will be fab.
i am happy you are happy. arent we all happy now?? good. :o)

Tracy said...

Those curved pieces are amazing! You are a brave soul....I have yet to attempt those! They are wonderful! Will you keep making them?

Michelle said...

I'm glad things are looking up for you and you were able to enjoy your weekend alone!

Sarah said...

That block looks great! Those are gorgeous quilts and you are brave to take on such a project. But so far so good, so keep it up and show us the progress!

It's good to hear you feeling better. Life as a caregiver is kind of like the economy - a series of ups and downs. When things are bad it is hard to imagine they will get better but somehow they always do.

Stacy said...

Great job on the blocks! I'd be scared to try and piece those curves.

Blog Archive

Contributors