The story behind this photo:
For several years now Aaron has a nasty habit of being a wee bit impulsive and showing an aggressive side to him. Over the last few months it has been getting out of hand. He attempts to claw at someone's face, sometimes he makes contact and sometimes he doesn't. I asked the school if he'd been doing this there and that same day they wrote me a note in his communication journal that he "hit" his helper student/classmate. I feel Aaron isn't trying to hurt people intentionally. I jumped on the internet and looked up two things: Toddlerplusaggression and Autismplusaggression. The latter wasn't addressing the issue pertaining to Aaron. When I looked at the first one it seemed to click. There could be several reasons why Aaron is doing this: he's annoyed, he's impulsive the most important one is that he lacks to verbal skills to explain himself fully.
At school they showed him "gentle" touch. Whenever I say the word gentle in front him now he will drop what he's doing and rub both sides of my face. To curb the negative behaviour I have been taking away one of his beloved possesions of the moment. This month it's a book, a sticker page, a toy propeller, a row of window blocks. I think he didn't like having them taken away for a whole day because he hasn't tried to claw at me for several days.
As per request: my new summer sandals. I find they look so grandma-ish but I just like them so much.

5 comments:
I think what your doing is fantastic, how else is he going to learn.Love the sandals and the pic of Aaron's typing fingers!
Have a good weekend.
Diane
How on earth did you get that photo? Sounds like the gentle is working! :)
I love the fingers.. :-)
you sound like you've got things handled, mama!!
i love the sandals, and the fingers! too cute!
I don't think those are grandma sandals - I like them!!
I am in awe of you as a mother, for sure.
Post a Comment