(WARNING: IF YOUR NAME IS PEPPYPILOTGIRL DO NOT READ OR LOOK FURTHER UNLESS THE MAILMAN HAS COME TO YOUR DOOR IN RECENT DAYS!)
So for my entry I'm entering this little quilt:
front
back
Long ago when I started blogging I met some wonderful people. Generous people as well. One summer this lovely lady sent me a box of books that I just fell in love with. I was ever so greatful and wanted to show my gratitude. But how? Oh! I know! I'd make her a quilt for her baby about to turn one year old a day after Aaron. Time goes on and the little girl turned 2 and I made her a quilt for her dolly to celebrate her birthday. Then the lovely lady was pregnant with a baby the winter of 2008. Ohh a baby! Another wonderful reason to make a quilt! Then in spring of 2009 the lovely lady, you guessed it! Another baby and another reason to make a quilt.
I could not leave the new baby without a Laura-original quilt when his older sisters recieved one. I felt like a Fairy Quiltmother. I sent it off last week and it should arrive shortly. I can't wait to hear the surprise of the mama.
About the quilt itself I bought a panel of 8 ducks last winter in the bargain bin. On my last day at my favourite shop before the passport law came into effect I hurriedly bought fabrics that would match the duck panel. I put them on a shelf for a while. For me when making a quilt I buy the fabric first then figure out how to best showcase the fabrics into a lovely pattern. I don't buy patterns or follow them in magazines or books. I am inspired by what I see through magazines, books and of course the wonderful flickr. There's a lady who inspires me with her love of quilt houses. I thought I'd put some roofs (rooves?) over the ducks and go from there. The quilt all came together beautifully. I wanted to have fun with the quilting and each block is differently quilted. You can see all the individual blocks and details of the quilting here. I made it large enough so that it could grow with the little baby as he turns into a little boy.
So that's my quilt story and my entry.
And if you are Peppypilotgirl: I enjoyed making this for your new little one. Congratulations!
52 comments:
So cute! You've got one lucky friend to have received 3 quilts from you!
So cute - your friend is very lucky!
i have always loved those silly ducks! one of my lqs used to carry the fabric line and still has examples...but no fabric...
great quilt!
Super cute, Laura! And I loved your name -- the Fairy Quiltmother. That made me smile. And indeed you are!
darling ducks and charming houses. and i really like that you curved your corners - it adds a special flavor to the quilt.
Oh my! That is truly adorable! I love the ducks, the houses, the rounded corners, the binding, the colors...it is wonderful. Great job!
It is beautiful!
And I was thrilled to receive it (the same day you posted this, even)! It's even more adorable in person and I am INCREDIBLY lucky!! My favorite parts are that she quilted his name into it and the strip of houses on the back. Let me tell you - she is TALENTED! Thank you so much again, LJ - you rock!!
A most adorable quilt, for sure!!! One of the favorites of mine of all time (except for your big wonky orange one...which I still ADORE!!!) What a great story, LauraJ..I loved it!!
Great baby quilt! It is adorable!
Your quilt is so cute. I love the ducks. WHat a lucky girl to ge that for her baby!
Happy quilting, Rhondi
One of your finest quilts yet! You have one of the largest hearts I've ever known. Your strength and grace (and wicked sense of humour) is valued by so many of us.
Hugs!
Oc
Laura, this is great! I absolutely love it. Thanks for sharing this wonderful artwork.
That is one fun cheery quilt. I love it!
Really lovely quilt! I love having excuses to quilt too! Your recipients are very lucky to have you! Well done!
Oh! How cute is this quilt!!!!! Lucky duck!
Oh, how cute. It is a beautiful quilt.
what fun! Lucky duck indeed!
So so adorable!
Rita
this is so fun and cute!! i love the ducks
This is just too cute! Those little ducks are adorable in their wee homes! Love it!
What a darling quilt. I am sure it will get used a lot. Thanks for sharing your story.
So cute and generous!
I love the ducks on the front and the pieced back. The houses are adorable. You are very generous in your quilting and have one lucky friend. Thanks for sharing.
I love this quilt and the different quilting for every block is one of my favorite details!
lucky friends. my mother tells me my first word was duck. . . so I have a little soft spot. so cute!
This is such a cute quilt. How can a baby not like it? Well done.
Just adorable, aperfect baby quilt!
What a great baby quilt it is adorable.
I love this. I also love the houses on the back and the striped binding.
adorable! Those ducks are so cute :)
Happy Thanksgiving to you and Aaron, dear Laura:-) I do hope you have a wonderful blessed day!!
I am always in awe of the quilts you make and this one is no exception. It's absolutely gorgeous and no doubt your friend will love it! xoxo
awww what a very cute quilt!
Jocelyn
http://happycottagequilter.blogspot.com/
Such a beauty! And such a gift!
What an adorable quilt! You are so generous! Thanks for sharing your story.
I love those little ducks in their houses. It's so cute!
Very cute! I love how you did the back. I am seeing that a lot in this quilt festival but have never seen it done before. Really neat!
oh.my.goodness! I absolutely adore your ducky quilt! What a lucky little boy to have a fairy quiltmother as talented as you. Thanks for sharing!
It's gorgeous, Laura. Well done. You are so talented.
How cute! I love those rounded corners and the colours.
Adorable!! Thanks for sharing :)
Fairy stars are strewn around this quilt. What lovely work you're doing.
the quilt is SO cute, it's lovely that you are a fairy Quiltmother
...what is the passsport law?
I love those ducks! Very well designed. I also like the rounded corners.
Very cute! What a lucky little boy!
Such a cute story. I love the ducks.
great quilt
love the rounded corners.
My first comment didn't go - hope this isn't a repeat
Your quilt is adorable. I like the pieced house blocks on the back.
Super cute! Love the back.
I love your quilt! I love how your photo of it too. I'm so glad I found you again! xom
It's a beautiful vibrant quilt.
Post a Comment