Monday, December 7, 2009

Finding Christmas::2::

Today I found Christmas through someone else. A lovely lady who works two doors down for two other very lovely ladies had been pestering me, albeit kindly, to make octagonal placemats. Underestimating my own abilities I had to turn her down on many occasion. Finally last week I thought to quiet this woman's placemat chatter I'd do a prototype placemat to see if I could actually do it first before committing to a project of this magnatude.. The prototype came out great, she was pleased with it and commissioned 4 placemats and a centerpiece that is a little larger.
We went shopping for fabric on Friday. I cut out the pieces Friday evening. Aaron was a bit of a pain this weekend so I had to stay around him to keep him company. Then I called up some little friends to come and keep me company. Saturday I didn't get much done but the quilting on one placemat. Sunday evening I was able to sew for a couple hours after he went to bed.

This morning I finished up the machine sewing and then sat on the couch for 4 hrs sewing on binding by hand. By 3pm this afternoon I had them all done and ready to deliver.
The photos are all the same placemats just turned from one side or the other and a couple of closeup shots of the quilting.

side B

quilting detail of centerpiece

placemat and centerpiece side A

quilting detail

Upon delivering them the lovely lady could not believe that I actually finished them so quickly. Then upon seeing them she jumped up and down with glee. It's rare you see a mature woman do this and it was a sight for my heart. She asked me several times how much she owed me and I smiled and said Merry Christmas! She loved them and that was payment enough for me.

6 comments:

Lollydo said...

Oh Laura! How special for both of you! The placemats are lovely and very well done. Once again, you ROCK! So (sew) happy for you. My spirits are lifted as well! Thanks!

Sarah said...

They are adorable! What a nice story.

Now you must show us how to put binding on an octagonal shape.

Unknown said...

Beautiful! I'd be terrified of the bindings!

Diane at Crafty Passions said...

WOW!!
I love them !! You did a wonderful job making them , your so talented!!!!
They are soooooo nice!!!
And your even nicer for making them for her !!
Laura your a very generous person!!!
Diane

Andrea said...

They are lovely. Well done, and so generous of you as always.

See? You could totally sell your work. YOu make beautiful things that people would be happy to pay money for.

carol said...

I love the loop-de-loop quilting. Wonderful!!!

Blog Archive

Contributors