Saturday, July 3, 2010

27:52 Fridays~Favourite food edition

27::52 Fridays~ Favourite food edition
I've been so busy around here that it's hard to find time to put any thought into the photo theme of the week. I made a barebecue lunch on Friday and thought okay that is my favourite food of the week I'll go with that!
I sure do hope to get into a summer routine soon. I have been so busy trying to keep Aaron from having daily nervous breakdowns that it's tough to steal time away to sew. Not only time there's also energy too that is needed to be a productive sewist. Daily meltdowns are exhausting. I do admit though there are some good days thrown in the mix and I'm repeating myself but our first week has gone very, very well compared to last year's first week of summer vacation.
There are several factors for the awesomeness that this summer will be:
Aaron has the most spectacular support worker this summer. She happens to be the same one who works with him at school. She requested to work with him several times a week throughout the summer to keep up what they've been doing at school.
Little did I know what my boy could really do physically. She has shown me that Aaron can get into his own wheelchair with a little guided hands. The strength this child has built in his legs has astounded me!
I had seen her during the family picnic during the last week of school and she was telling what she'd like to do with Aaron during the summer. She had grand plans of taking him out to places in her car. I knew she couldn't lift him so I asked myself how could she do this? She thought she'd use our hoyer lift to get him in her car. I thought not sure that's going to work. I came up with a plan to try teaching Aaron to use a transfer board.
Wednesday afternoon, after I made some calls and was loaned 2 transfer boards we went out to Miss Summer's (that's what I'll call her!) car and proceeded to figure this out between her, me and Aaron. Well I just stood there like a big dumby while Miss Summer handed me the transfer boards and said too cumbersome they won't work, let's see what he can do. Together they managed to get Aaron into his carseat. I was flabberghasted! They did it!! They went for a little ride and then they did the reverse and to my amazement he was back in his wheelchair with a little help.
All I could do was stand there and say wow! They work soooooo well together. I knew Miss Summer was awesome, I didn't realize just how Awesome she was!
That's one part of why this summer is going to be amazing... the other part is that the other support worker we have during the school year decided to stay throughout the summer. Hooray! Her tasks are helping me around the house and doing errands around town. Summers past were very long indeed without this help. I did not want a stream of strangers coming in every summer. It's hard allowing people you don't know into your home and your private lives. She took last week off and will be coming back next week. I really like her as we've worked together going on 4 years. One of my longest home workers ever.
So now that I'm done rambling about the great summer we're going to have I'm off to go sew while Aaron is gone to Papa's house!
Aaron's weekly moment:
celebrating canada day
Here's a photo from the Canada Day celebration we had in our driveway. I put these on Aaron's head and it was so funny to watch him. Every few minutes he'd bob his head like a bobblehead thing to make the antena move.

2 comments:

Diane at Crafty Passions said...

Laura your doing it right!
Happy summer !
Diane

Valerie said...

Sounds like you're on track for a great summer indeed! That's great news about your help this summer. What a blessing.

Blog Archive

Contributors