Saturday, October 30, 2010

Welcome to the Fall Blogger's Quilt Festival

On my bed
Amy's Creative Side - Blogger's Quilt Festival
For this little festival show and tell I am entering a quilt that I've not shown before other than a couple photos of it in progress:
For those who haven't been to my blog before here's a little back story on the quilt:
A lovely friend I have through the internet surprised me one day last winter with a big package of scraps. I sorted those scraps by colour and started to notice a theme in the biggest pile. Pink, purple, lime green with some black and white. I challenged myself to make a quilt out of these scraps in these colours.
Wonky Log Cabins WIP
Many of these scraps were already cut into strips so I thought by making them into log cabin blocks would go quickly. I was wrong of course because 1-I'm anal and don't like the same colours touching, 2 it took forever to keep on piecing logs and more logs and more logs. I love lots of variety in my quilts and I was started to run low various prints so I took a few from my stash and bought a few quarter yard cuts to add to the fun. I finally managed to get a quilt top by May or so and then put it aside to take on sewing for others.
Use up Carol's Scraps challenge quilt
Having sewn quilts and such for others throughout the summer and into the fall a couple weekends ago I pulled out my quilt top and the backing I had carefully pieced following an online tutorial about matching up repeats in a fabric print. That weekend I declared it sewing for me weekend!
fabric to finish quilt
My original plan was for this to be a picnic quilt but seeing as how I've been making quilts for 15 years and the smaller quilts in the house don't get used as much as the larger ones I thought I'd make it larger by adding some borders all around. I also had to extend the backing on one end by about 6 inches to accomodate for the added length.
quilt back
After putting all the layers together I decided to quilt it in a flowers pattern from this tutorial. While quilting some flowers I noticed some bare spaces and with so many seams in this quilt I didn't want anything falling apart so I decided to add some filler quilter with trailing leaves.
more detail
My favourite part of the whole quilt has to be the binding. I had bought other fabric for a binding but as I was quilting this I really wanted something else and off to the fabric store I went to buy this awesome lime green fabric I just love. I bought the rest of the bolt! I wanted to try my machine quilting skills on quilting some vines in the borders but I was running low on thread and just wanted to get this done. I set my machine to a wavy stitch and went around the quilt once to stabilize the border seam.
sneak peek
Use up Carol's Scraps challenge Quilt
It is still plenty big enough for picnics next summer but I'm not so sure I want to mess it up with ketchup or barbecue sauce!
on the lawn
Thank you for stopping by! I'll be on my way to visit your quilt if you are in the festival. Let me know in the comments! Take care and Happy Quilting!!

25 comments:

Diane at Crafty Passions said...

Love it love it love it !!!
Did I mention I love it!!
Diane

Little Island Quilting said...

Fabulous

~Niki~ said...

love the fabric colors! and you blog header is adorable !

Linda at Roscoe's Ma said...

Wow! Wow! Wow! This is really beautiful!

carol said...

Awesome quilt, Laura! I don't think I could have made one so cool if I had even tried! Now you can think of me when you use this. :D

Rene' said...

This is lovely! Great job. I really like the colorful blocks. Thanks for sharing!

Elizabeth Dackson said...

Wow, this is awesome! You're inspiring me to dig into my scraps and try to do something with them for once :)

Deborah said...

Gorgeous quilt!

danielle said...

thanks for your lovely comment! this quilt is gorgeous..

ps- i am TOTALLY jealous of your sewing room- look at all those fabric stacks- lucky you : )

Caroline @ Artfully Caroline said...

Bold, fresh, modern, whimsical and colorful. I just LOVE it. What a great way to use scraps!

Valerie said...

Hmmm, I might say this every time you post a new quilt because, well, you're crazy talented, but this might be my favorite of yours! I love the colors and patterns and how you arranged it all. Gorgeous!

Lois said...

This happy quilt is so fun to look at and the binding is the icing on the cake. Great job. Love Lois

Joanne said...

Your quilt is so pretty, so fun, so happy and I love it !!!! Hugs to you, Joanne

Miri said...

Fabulous quilt! Wonderful bright colors and the border is terrific. I'm totally impressed with the back-thanks for the tuts too.

:o) mg said...

Simply gorgeous! You continue to amaze the rest of us. Talent from God used to make others happy - can't get any better than that!

Anne Simonot said...

Love it - as Caroline said, fresh and whimsical - but so pretty! That lime green binding is great! I love lime green too.

Carole Burant said...

Halloween

The night is dark
and the goblins are out,
and the witches and black cats
are prowling about.

And costumed creatures
the strangest I've seen,
are knocking on doors
'cause tonight's Halloween!

Happy Halloween to you and Aaron, dear Laura:-) I just love that quilt, it's gorgeous and such fun colours and designs!! xoxo

Quiltbenaco said...

E' un ottimo spunto per utilizzare un po' di scarti!!!
Grazie
Ciao Domenica

Carla said...

Stopping by on the festival to see your adorable quilt....what fun fabrics you have! Congratulations!!

Sherry said...

I just LOVE this quilt. So colorful & fun. You did a great job.

Leslie said...

this is beautiful. i love wonky blocks

beth said...

beautiful. beautiful. You're right. this quilt and ketchup would NOT mix.

Samantha said...

no, no, no ketchup or bbq sauce!! It's too pretty! The colors play together perfectly...

Katie B said...

W
O
W
!
What a bright and fun quilt!!

Major Bedhead said...

Wow! That's gorgeous. I really like how it's all asymmetrical, it makes it really interesting. You're super talented. You should do commission work.

Blog Archive

Contributors