Sunday, July 31, 2011

perspective


perspective, originally uploaded by LauraJ_Sews.

This weekend while Aaron was away with his papa I ventured out on to public
outings post tattoo.

The first outing on Friday, I was dressed to the nines as they say (in a dress no less! which is a story for another day) was a wedding of a young woman whom I babysat 20 some odd years ago. It was a nice little gathering of people, apart of the bride and her mother I knew no one, other than the couple friends I went with who worked with the groom. Here we sat us three in a corner just watching the merriment post wedding. You know the dancing and stuff. I am by nature a very big people watcher. Now that I am part of the "ink club" I was covertly checking out people's tattoos. After a while I was feeling very self-conscious of my own tattoo because it was nothing like the dolphins and roses and butterflies I saw the other ladies wearing on their shoulder area or ankle area. For a few minutes my stomach gave out and I questioned my choice of getting a tattoo. I went outside with my friend to get some air to calm myself down. We went back in and I checked my email, because I have a smart phone now and I can do that, when lo and behold I received and email from a wonderful lady (I met through the internets) who was all excited about my new ink. Right then I was able to breathe a sigh of relief and realize that I love my tattoo. I love where it's at and I love its message.

Outing number 2 was Saturday night to our local festival to hear some tribute bands play some familiar music. With a crowd like there was you can definately see the amount of ink artwork. Gone were the feelings of the previous evening and I embraced my whole being. I saw a few family members that day and they were quite surprised to see that I'd gone and made that choice. The brother who doubted me 5 years ago that I'd never do it just smiled and gave me a hug.

While I was walking around the festival and idea came to mind that I wanted to see what my tattoo looked from behind. I set up my camera and took this photo. From the front you can barely see it but from the back it looks pretty darn awesome if I say so myself.

By having these two experiences I was able to put things into perspective and realize that despite my differences they don't make me any more or less than anyone else.

People who look through keyholes are apt to get the idea that most things are keyhole shaped. ~Author Unknown

3 comments:

carol said...

The heck with everyone else. If you like it, that's all that counts!

Carole Burant said...

I LOVE your tattoo!! A lot of people have sayings written like that but your saying is the one I love the most. You chose well and I also really like where you had it done:-) I've got a rose tattoo on my ankle and now I'd like to have a little faerie tattooed above my left breast...maybe I should also think of a saying!! hehe xoxo

Julie said...

For what it is worth, from someone you don't know, across the other side of the world, I think your tattoo is rather lovely. It works both aesthetically and intellectually, which I suspect is an extremely rare thing to say about at tattoo!

Blog Archive

Contributors