Friday, October 3, 2008

Day 3: Blogging 31 for T21 ::Heidi::

My next interview is with Heidi of Heidi's Place.
This boy has the most wonderful smile.

For my blog readers would you mind telling a little about who you are and how you became a parent of a special needs child?

Hi, My name is Heidi, and I became a parent in not quite the traditional way. Junior has wonderful parents and siblings but because of his multitude of physical and medical needs he needed a little extra help. He came to live with me when he was two and the rest is history. I have been "mom"(though he calls me "HIIII" Heidi) for over seven years now and can't imagine life without him.

Junior had meningitis as an infant which left him with damage to his brain. He has CP, mixed seizure disorder, chronic lung disease and asthma. His biggest health issues are the seizures and lung disease. Junior gets frequent lung infections and is much more susceptible to colds and other illnesses. He is nonmobile and uses a wheel chair to get around(he does ride a special bike and it is one of his absolute favorite activities), he is also unable to use his hands but instead uses a head switch to activate toys, lights, tape player and many other things. Junior is nonverbal though he does have several word approximations that I can understand. His main mode of communication is eye gaze with a communication board. He may not talk in the normal way but he most definately communicates and makes sure he is understood.
To truly understand what a day/year in the life of Junior is like you must visit this video mantage Heidi put together. Bring kleenex. You will need it!!
click here for the video

What has caring for Junior taught you about life?

To cherish every single moment and take nothing for granted. Also that sometimes the greatest accomplishment in life is being able to make a difference in the life of someone else. Junior's health is very fragile and he faces many serious issues, life is not easy but it is so very worth it.

What would you say to someone who was interested in fostering special needs children?

I am not actually a foster parent but whether a child comes into your home through the foster system or privately they will still require the same things. Think it through carefully, it won't be easy, and is lots of work, but if you are up for it, it is so rewarding. There are so many special needs kids out there who need a loving home and a chance at life.

How do you find time for yourself?

Time for myself, whats that?

It can be very hard to find some time to myself but I have found that things like reading a book while Junior is watching a movie or going for a walk with him gives me that quiet time I need to recharge.

What makes you happy? (I ask this question because I'm working on my own little Happiness Project http://www.happiness-project.com/ --I'm hoping to gain a little insight into my own happiness through other's reasons for what brings them happiness.)

Seeing Junior accomplish even the smallest things and seeing his huge smile. Spending time outdoors and also getting to see my family and friends.

Do you have any websites you'd like to share?

this was left blank, I do encourage you to visit Heidi and Junior's blog for some informative links posted on the right sidebar



~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Update regarding school: I've called the head offfice of A's school district and there isn't anything that can be done until the part is located. I suggested that I could go to school and cath A myself and put it him back in his chair and then come home. He'd miss physical therapy for a day or so but he wouldn't be missing a few days of school! It's important that he's there. I've yet to confirm this plan with the the school Method and Resource Teacher.

As a followup to yesterdays question I was asked how I would like people to respond to the question I put forth as to how to explain to young children why someone is in a wheelchair if that child asks.
I've never been approached and asked by any strangers why A was in a wheelchair. I've been asked by my 6 year old nephew and my reply was that Aaron's don't work like his or mine do so the wheels act as his legs so he can get around like the rest of us. Each answer is based on the childs age. Since I live in an area with 5 adults in wheelchairs the kids around me understand there are lots of reasons why a person is in a chair.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

You all don't mind if I just post regular stuff on the weekends and do the interviews during the week? I can take this weekend to prepare some interviews for next week. I'm doing this by the seat of my pants here. I'm enjoying learning about these moms, their kids and their lives. This is becoming a really special project to me! Thank you for letting me share this space with such extraordinary moms.


Posted by Picasa

5 comments:

Junior said...

Thanks Laura, I had fun answering your questions, sorry about the links somehow I totally missed that one.
Heidi

Lisa said...

Laura J these interviews are great! You are wonderful for sharing all this and to your families too!

PeppyPilotGirl said...

What a smile Junior has!! I love these interviews. Thanks for doing this.

smileymamaT said...

HI! I finally got caught up and have read all the interviews so far. Wonderful!
T

Michelle said...

oh my goodness he does have a contagious smile!

That stinks about the school situation. Through no fault of his own Aaron has to miss out on school, it just doesn't seem right!

Of course you can post whatever you want on the weekends :)

Blog Archive

Contributors