I ordered fabrics from fabricworm and a couple weeks ago bought a bunch more of novelty prints for fun. I recieved a wonderful pink parcel in the mail from my very own fabric fairy. (Love that woman! She sends me things just because she wants to share! I'm pretty sure that from here on out a scrap or piece of fabric she has sent me will make it into every quilt I make. Now how's that for spreading the quilty love??)
Easter Sunday I finished the quilt top. I set it aside to do other sewing and things. Then this past weekend I decided it was time to finish it up. With a quick trip to the sewing shop to get some thread I was ready to go. Friday I made the quilt sandwhich. Saturday and Sunday I did the quilting. This morning I sewed on the binding and threw it in the washer. By noon I had a finished quilt! Here are some pics for you to enjoy:
First the back of the quilt to show some quilting detail. The backing fabric was generously provided by my fabric fairy. I make quilts most times based on what I have on hand. The size of This quilt was based on the size of the fabric that was sent. It was a great 60 inches wide and 70 inches long. I asked my quilty twitter friends how big should I make this quilt? I was going to make it twin size but I was encouraged to make it a smaller size for ease in portability for a 3 year old. After washed it ended up being 56 by 55 inches square.
A close up of the front to show more wrinkly quilty goodness. The size isn't exactly square because I had made a gaffe by not paying attention was I was quilting. Somehow the edge of the backing folded over on itself and I quilted it that way. I cut around it and was able to save it without having to take quilting stitches out. Although I did lose a quarter inch where I had to snip some fabric loose. In the grand scheme of life I don't think a quarter inch is going to be all that noticable.
I think one of my favourite parts of making a quilt is hanging it on the line so I can take some photos.
I love to see quilts on a clothesline. I never have my camera with me when out and about walking in warmer weather and I miss out on some sneaky shots of folks airing out their quilts. Each quilt has a story and I wish they could talk to tell me their stories. Let me know who made them, who they've warmed and comforted.
My part in this quilts' story is ending but another chapter is set to begin once I package it up and send it off to it's new owner. I can almost hear her squeals of delight as she picks out the different animals and silly things dancing about this quilt. I imagine little girl tea parties and snuggles on the couch. I imagine it sharing her laughter and drying her tears.
Lastly I envision her being kept warm while she's dreaming of the auntie she's never met who made her a quilt because she is loved very much.
6 comments:
Laura you have a heart of gold !
This quilt is gorgeous!!! I am sure she will be thrilled with it.
Diane
Too bad she doesn't know her sweet Auntie. She'd love her as much as all of us! You did a fabulous job on this, Laura. It's marvelous and she will adore it!! I hope you get a picture.
Hi I am new to your blog and have to say that I love it. You and your boy are amazing and I love reading about your journey. I love that you love making quilts so much that you are making me want to make on too!
Happy quilting, Del
Okay, every time you post a new quilt, I think to myself, that's my new favorite Laura quilt! Your niece is going to absolutely LOVE it. What a lucky girl! But not lucky enough if she hasn't yet met her wonderful Aunt Laura!
Seriously, I am amazed at how many beautiful quilts you crank out so quickly! Keep 'em coming!
That is also super cute - I love your stuff!
beautifuls cross friendly
Post a Comment