Todays theme was show us your sewing space. I hesitated because I'm ashamed to admit that I am a very messy person. I almost gave my landlord a heartache when he wanted to see my bedroom-we were discussing new ceiling fans- I shouted to the poor man" Don't go in there!" Ooookaaaay... And then it's embarrassing. I'm not a dirty or gross person like you'd seen on that show "Hoarders" but I am what you call a piler. I love piles of stuff for some reason. I also have a hard time picking up after myself. Between caring for Aaron and myself and a home and a hobby it's hard to just keep up with any one thing at a time. Oh and finding the energy to tidy...ugh.
My second point is that I dislike summer because we wear less clothes and I can't "hide" under my clothes. I am always so self conscious when I post these photos. When I look at them all I see is a massive bosom. It makes me very uncomfortable. I think though that I was trained(raised up) to see the negative details of my life. I wish I didn't have to sit and pick myself apart. But it becomes an obsession. And it's not fun.
I did a little video with Aaron this morning.I wanted to capture him on video however once I watched it I felt awfully embarrassed about my own child. I wondered if I should share it. Then a little voice told me that when people look at Aaron they overlook the slight things that I see and it's not important for me to point them out. (And no I don't point them out to him!) I've been told I must learn to see the positive in him and see how far he's developed with my guidance.
A little voice told me that my parents probably would have been over the moon had my sister developed intellectually even half as much as Aaron has.
(She was born profoundly mentally disabled, she's 31 and still in an infantile stage and my mom, bless her, still cares for her in her home full time. Now you can see my role model towards how I care for Aaron. My mother devoted her life to my sister.)
Here is our little video:
The story behind the video goes like this: Aaron loves details and lists and itineraries. If I don't write it down he hounds me until I'm blue in the face. Silly me decided to teach him how to count his days. Since last year sometime every two Sundays he starts to count down the days until Friday. Every morning he wakes up he informs me what day it is and what days are left to go to Papa's house. I didn't get it on video today but I just love his little fingers and how he uses them to count his days.
Aaron is a visual learner and it helps him to see concrete ideas written down. Have I mentioned how much I love having this giant white board?! I'm able to write anything and everything down and he's "reading" and it's marvelous!
I'll rejoice in his accomplishments and keep on thinking that he's cute and not worrying about what others think. It doesn't matter.
12 comments:
He is adorable! And you look great too! Don't worry, I won't say anything about your sewing room piles if you don't say anything about mine!
Aaron's enthusiasm about "papa's at 5:00" is too cute!!! He's doing really well!
You like so happy and proud sitting in your sewing area.
You're very hard on yourself?? Give yourself a break. You seem to be a great mom, for sure you're a brilliant quilter, and you look lovely and happy. What's not to like?
Keep smiling
:)
I can't pull up the video on my phone... I'll have to check it out later. I don't about Aaron's challenges but I do know that he has a mama that cares deeply for him. How fun that he counts down the days. The simple things in life, right?
I have the hardest time picking up after myself too (then add in the three girls and things can get turned up side down pretty quickly. My sewing room goes through stages of tidiness depending on where I am in my projects. As long as you know which pile to go to to find what you are looking for, I see nothing wrong with piles!
You should totally know -- that I am a VERY messy person. Piles, mess, you name it! That's me. You are totally in good company. ;) I'm trying my best to reform this messiness, but it's a slow-going process for sure.
Love the pic of you and your sewing area! So that's where all the creativity flows! And I love your decorated sewing machine.
The video was adorable. I love Aaron's cute little voice, especially when he talks about going to Papa's house. And I love that he is called Papa, since that is what we have my little guy call my husband. You just don't hear that very often, especially down here in the States. Everyone is usually Dad.
My wonderful friend......I hope you are keeping a journal because the difference in Aaron from when we first starting e-mailing and now is AMAZING!!! You are seeing the daily grind. I am seeing it from a distance and the improvement is astonishing. This is mainly due to you, you know! You should be so proud, as I am!! (Of both of you!!) The heck with the messes......you will always have them. It's that little boy who is mostly important! That and the happiness of both of you! Hugs to you both.
O I am in love; your son is just too precious! He is so like any and all other kids--waiting for a verbal cue from mom! He knew what Friday would look like; he was just testing you...
OH and sorry about a second post, but your sewing room looks better than my sewing space. Sigh; I clean it up only to promptly mess it up again.
That is so human nature; we see ourselves in a picture and immediately focus on what we see as our shortcomings. You look just perfect; don't let anyone tell you otherwise.
My name is Bridgette and I live in Kentucky. I ran across your blog and love it! Your sweet boy is adorable. You do such a great job with him. Thanks for sharing!
Laura,
I love to see what you and Aaron are up to. I love your style and color choices. I enjoy your walks and side trips...so what I am saying is... it is almost Friday again and we haven't heard from you. Hope all is ok.
Miss you,
Rondi
I've been reading your blog for months now and the video inspired me to finally write and say that I enjoy hearing about your life and your son's. The every day things -- the challenges and accomplishments.
It was great fun hearing your voice! We read words on web pages, but when we finally hear a voice, it makes it all so much more real. Your delight in Aaron makes everyone delight in him, I think - and he is someone to be delighted by! (bad grammar, but it says what I mean ;-)
I look forward to seeing your new quilts, your new photos and hearing stories about Aaron. I tire of many quilt blogs, but my interest in yours has been steady.
I think that in the real world outside of CPS STUDIOS magazines, not many people have a clutter-less, no-piles sewing room. Mine is as messy or maybe more messy than yours! Still I have "organised" mess & I bet you too, knows what is where, in your room.
I do admire you, that you have the energy & manage to find creative time, while raising Aaron. You have done a good job & you are a great mom.
Happy weekend to Aaron & you, from Tokyo, Japan.
I'm so glad you decided to post the video (and I didn't see anything in there that you should have been embarrassed about!) he is adorable and look how far he's come! And he looks so big and grown looking, where did that little boy go?! You're a wonderful mom!
Post a Comment